So it’s a little later than Monday, apologies! I didn’t have enough of the binding I was using and after searching three stores gave up looking for it and got something else. Here’s where I got up to but with the edges trimmed. I had to be very neat as it was a nightmare to find a bias binding that went with the fabric and I ended up with a very thin 1cm binding that took hours to apply on account of how neatly it had to be teased and pinned. I know I should make my own but I’m lazy and stubborn 🙂
After trimming I sewed up the bottom edge and started cutting, tipping and inserting the spiral steel bones –
And here is the evil bias binding, incredibly thin but it looked great once on the corset. Here you can see the neat wrinkle-free curve bias binding gives you if you stretch it round corners carefully. When you make a corset don’t rush your binding, it’s the quality of the finish that’s the cherry on the top of your work, take time to pin or even tack if you’re not confident with binding.
One side done – suspender corsets take up a lot of binding!
At this point I had to stop to move my puppy away from the sewing machine foot pedal….
All the bias done, just the suspender clips to attach. I got out my tester piece to compare and copy.
Close up of the finished suspender end. You can see the binding too. Not bad colour matching all round. Very happy with the project 🙂
So here’s a couple of photos of the finished corset on. Excuse the pants! The fit is perfect, I did it up extremely tight and there’s still a lot of room at the back but this is a single layer corset without coutil remember – we’re testing corset training with it to see how it stands up – so I’m expecting it to stretch a lot while I’m seasoning it. There are a few wrinkles at the waist. Possibly should of roll pinned the inner bone-casing at the waist when I applied it but it may just be down to how soft/thin the fabric is.
Links to Parts 1 through 5 of this project for reference –